Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A DAY AT THE GYM


"MMM, CHOCOLATE"



I was half way to a mile when what my friends call "newbie pains" kicked in. See, I hadn't been to the gym in nearly 3 weeks thanks to the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Beginning in July I had worked out consistently and I was able to run 2 miles without much effort. But then came the turkey, followed by the sweets, then the sodas, then menudo, lechon...the list went on and on.

I made the pilgrimmage back to the gym. It was a new year and with no major family-oriented holidays in sight, I set out to regain the "eye of the tiger" as it had been. I started slowly with lifting weights, then the elliptical. Okay, I'm a little tired, but not worn out. I was like Muhammed Ali in the later rounds. Exhausted but still dangerous.

I hit the treadmill like a man with a mission. 2 miles. I stretch the legs and begin with a fast walk eventually easing into a slow jog. I'm feeling pretty good as I reach .50 miles. My legs are strong, my breathing smooth. I speed up. I still feel excellent. Maybe my absence didn't make a diff...oh-oh. I feel a little discomfort in my right knee. It's aching. In the past, at the height of my running prowess, I fixated on one object in the gym and relaxed my whole body. The strategy worked and I was able to jog beyond my expectations.

Looking for that focal point I settled on the flat screen tv hoisted above me. The commercial ends and I see a familiar logo. The Food Network. The cooking show returns and a kind, sweet older lady adds a layer of chocolate frosting to a round, sumptuous cake. Shit. I look away the other screen. Fox News? Hell no. A soap opera on CBS. Without sound it does me no good. What the hell is this? A freaking cooking show in front a guy trying to get in shape and FORGET cakes, pies and lovely cookies!

I managed 1.6 miles. Not bad given the situation I was under. I headed for the exit when a young lady behind the counter added a quick "goodbye, thank you for coming." I turned noting the irony of my dilemma and approached.

"Did you know that one of the screens is showing THE FOOD NETWORK?" I said.

The brunette trainer in a tight knit shirt immediately looked alarmed.

"Yes sir, I am aware of that and we'll get that changed right away," she said.

"Oh, no worries. I just think it's funny."

The trainer frowned with helplessness and tilted her head to one side as if to say "what do you want me to do?"

I smiled, nodding and headed out the door. I thought apparently weight isn't the only thing you lose at the gym.

No comments: