Friday, April 10, 2009

Good at Cars, Lousy at Decoration

(I Swear I'll Fix These Cars, One Day)I went to get a smog check today so I went to an auto mechanic strip mall near my home. It's a C-shaped building with garages galore, but I couldn't escape the sight of many automobile "work-in-progress" on display taking up all of the parking spaces. Do the shop owners not realize that the customer can see them? I mean it's disconcerting to pull into the driveway and see something out of Mad Max. It's like owning a butcher shop and leaving cow, pig and dog carcasses on the floor just before the cash register.

When I slowly approached the Smog Test Area I tried hard not to acknowledge the graveyard of crippled cars with missing engines, naked front ends where the bumpers usually covered, or sans windshield glass. I swear I heard a Chevy Nova say "don't look at me! I'm hideous!"

But I like these small, "mom & pop" places. The mechanic who performed the test was thorough. And the good news is I passed. But how about a little decorative renovation on the outside? And would it hurt to get a tv in the waiting room?

No comments: